The Memorial Shrine was built in order to pay tribute to Admiral Yi Sun-Shin. He lived from 1548 to 1598.
He devoted his life to protecting the country.
The country was in danger during the early stages of the Joseon Dynasty because a power struggles between the powerful courtiers and the threat on an invasion from the outside.
The foot of Banghwasan, which is amountain in Baekam-Ri, was the place where the Admiral Yi lived before he passed the military service examination.
In 1706, the 32nd year of King Sukjong¡¯s reign and 108 years after the death of Admiral Yi, the shrine was built in Baekam-Ri. In 1707 King Sukjong called the tablet ¡°The Memorial Shrine¡±.
The incense fire, for cherishing the memory of the Admiral Yi, has not been extinguished for almost 200 years since then.
The tomb and land were nearly at stake of being handed over to the Japanese while under Japanese rule.
During that time period, The Dong-A Daily News Agency and an association, to preserve the relics of Admiral Yi, planned to rebuild the shrine in 1932 with the contribution of all the people.
A ceremony remembering the birth of Admiral Yi has been performed every year on April 28 cherishing his memory since its liberation in 1945.
In 1966, the sacred Memorial Shrine was renovated for the purpose of cherishing the sublime virtue and loyalty of Admiral Yi as well as to hand over his performances forever.
The sanctification project continued until 1974.
We must learn a lesson from the spirit of Admiral Yi. It represents the spirit that sacrificing the personal interest for the public good as

well as the creativity and frontier spirit.The spirit that the forewarned is forearmed.

Highlighted in our history forever are the magnificent spirits left to us. These are illustrated by a number of distinguished performances about the seven years of war pertaining to the Japanese invasion of 1592. We will respect and follow the patriotism that Admiral Yi consistently observed throughout his entire life.
The major facilities include: the main shrine that cherishes the portrait of Admiral Yi, the old house where Admiral Yi was brought up, the archery field where Admiral Yi shot arrows and practiced military arts, the Hongsalmun gate and the tomb of Yi Myeon, Admiral Yi¡¯s third son. The Relics Center displays a number of his relics which include, ¡°The War Diary,¡± and an imitation of ¡°The Myeongjopalsapum.¡± The original one is at the shrine Chungryeolsa in Tongyeong.